I have an existing loan currently serviced by Homebridge. How do I make payments?

If you have an existing loan with us, please click here to be redirected to our loan servicing website.

Please note: new users will need to register and create login credentials.

Please contact us at 866-913-2951 for assistance.

What should I do if my loan was transferred by Homebridge to another institution?

If your loan was transferred to another institution, you will receive a Goodbye letter from us with your new loan servicer information. When a transfer occurs, you will need to contact your new servicer regarding your loan. Your most recent billing statement or coupon always reflects current servicer contact information.

For more frequently asked servicing questions, click here.

We recognize this is a difficult time for many people. Click here or call 866-913-2951 for more information and to learn about current options available to our borrowers.