Can an eligible veteran/active duty VA buyer include his/her non military spouse’s income on a VA Loan?
YES YOU CAN!
Even if the spouse is not VA Loan eligible, you can use their income to qualify for a higher loan amount.
However, if a couple is not married, they may not be able to include this income for a VA Loan. Unlike FHA loans, the VA Loan does not allow a non-spouse as a co-borrower. However, there is a process known as a “joint loan” in conjunction with a VA loan to allow a co-borrower who is not VA eligible and is not a spouse. The service member is also allowed to receive gift funds for a VA Loan from “friends and family,” which could include a significant other while not married. If a couple is not married, but both are eligible veterans, then they can purchase a home together with a VA Loan.
Also, it is important to note that even if not considering a spouse’s income for a VA Loan, the spouse’s credit must be pulled to check for any judgments against him/her. These judgments will have to be paid prior to closing escrow on the purchase.
The Chapman Lending Team at HomeBridge Financial is honored to help dozens of veterans utilize their VA home loan benefit each and every year. We ARE NOT a call center. Our goal is to provide the best customer service in the industry along with the most competitive rates and fees.
Other VA Loan Questions:
- 2017 San Diego VA Loan Limits
- Am I eligible for a VA loan?
- How do I qualify for a VA loan?
- What are the benefits of a VA loan?
- Are VA loans zero down payment?
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How much house can I afford with a VA loan?
- Can you pay off debt with a VA Loan?
- How do I get my VA Loan certificate of eligibility?
- What and how much is the VA funding fee?
- What is the VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance loan (IRRRL)?
- Can I include my non military/veteran spouses income for a VA loan?
- Can I use a VA loan for a multi unit property (up to 4 units)?
- Can I refinance 100% of my home’s value with a VA loan?
- What are the closing costs for a VA Loan?
Semper Fi, Dan Chapman CAPT, USMC (vet)
Please enjoy the series of articles, and email with any questions at all.
About the author: Dan Chapman is the branch manager at HomeBridge Financial Services in North County San Diego, CA. HomeBridge performs VA loans in 46 states. Dan is a Naval Academy graduate, served as a Captain (O-3) in the Marine Corps, and is a Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran. He has been focused on helping active duty military and veterans attain the dream of home ownership since 2007. He is actively involved in several local veteran causes and performs VA loan seminars throughout greater San Diego on a monthly basis. For a free consultation, please contact us anytime.