What is the VA Streamline IRRRL Program?
IRRRL stands for Interest Rate Reduction Refinancing Loan. You may also see it referred to as a “VA Streamline.” It is used to refinance an existing VA guaranteed loan to reduce the interest rate or to refinance an adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) to a fixed rate.
There is a big difference between an IRRRL and a regular VA Loan refinance.
The VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL) lowers your interest rate by refinancing your existing VA home loan. By obtaining a lower interest rate, your monthly mortgage payment should decrease. You can also refinance an adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) into a fixed rate mortgage.
- No appraisal or credit underwriting package is required when applying for an IRRRL.
- An IRRRL may be done with “no money out of pocket” by including all costs in the new loan or by making the new loan at an interest rate high enough to enable the lender to pay the costs.
- When refinancing from an existing VA ARM loan to a fixed rate loan, the interest rate may increase.
- No lender is required to give you an IRRRL, however, any VA lender of your choosing may process your application for an IRRRL.
- You may NOT receive any cash from the loan proceeds.
- You DO NOT have to currently occupy the property
An IRRRL can only be made to refinance a property on which you have already used your VA loan eligibility. It must be a VA to VA refinance, and it will reuse the entitlement you originally used.
- A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is not required. If you have your Certificate of Eligibility, take it to the lender to show the prior use of your entitlement.
- No loan other than the existing VA loan may be paid from the proceeds of an IRRRL. If you have a second mortgage, the holder must agree to subordinate that lien so that your new VA loan will be a first mortgage.
- You may have used your entitlement by obtaining a VA loan when you bought your house, or by substituting your eligibility for that of the seller, if you assumed the loan.
- The occupancy requirement for an IRRRL is different from other VA loans. For an IRRRL you need only certify that you previously occupied the home.
A new Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is not required. You may take your Certificate of Eligibility to show the prior use of your entitlement or your lender may use our e-mail confirmation procedure in lieu of a certificate of eligibility.
Other VA Loan Questions:
- Am I eligible for a VA loan?
- How do I qualify for a VA loan?
- What are the benefits of a VA loan?
- Are VA loans zero down payment?
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How much house can I afford with a VA loan?
- Can you pay off debt with a VA Loan?
- How do I get my VA Loan certificate of eligibility?
- What and how much is the VA funding fee?
- What is the VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance loan (IRRRL)?
- Can I include my non military/veteran spouses income for a VA loan?
- Can I use a VA loan for a multi unit property (up to 4 units)?
- Can I refinance 100% of my home’s value with a VA loan?
- What are the closing costs for a VA Loan?
The Chapman Lending Team at HomeBridge Financial is honored to help dozens of veterans utilize their VA home loan benefit each and every year. We ARE NOT a call center. Our goal is to provide the best customer service in the industry along with the most competitive rates and fees.
Semper Fi, Dan Chapman USMC (vet)
Please enjoy the series of articles, and contact me with any questions at all.
Get a Free Rate Quote – Start an Online Application
About the author: Dan Chapman is the branch manager at HomeBridge Financial Services in North County San Diego, CA. HomeBridge performs VA loans in 46 states. Dan is a Naval Academy graduate, served as a Captain (O-3) in the Marine Corps, and is a Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran. He has been focused on helping active duty military and veterans attain the dream of home ownership since 2007. He is actively involved in several local veteran causes and performs VA loan seminars throughout greater San Diego on a monthly basis. For a free consultation, please contact us anytime.