A recent survey found that sellers boost their home’s value more cost effectively with minor improvements than with big remodeling jobs. Here are five things that deliver the most value:
1. Improve the curb appeal. First impressions make a big difference in what a home is worth. Put a fresh coat of paint on the front door and potted flowers or small evergreens beside it. The roof is a big part of a home’s appearance from the street. If it’s dirty, have it cleaned by professionals. Touch up paint trim. Clear the front yard of toys, garden tools, and hoses.
2. De-clutter. Throw out old newspapers, magazines and files. Put away toys. Remove small pieces of furniture just taking up space. If your home looks clean and simple, buyers find it more attractive and overlook shortcomings.
3. Install the two things buyers want most in a kitchen. Can you guess? Granite countertops and stainless steel appliances! Blame it on the TV home shows. But if you don’t have these items, the cost of installing them could be recovered in the sale. Check with your Realtor.
4. Update the small stuff. Put in new cabinet handles and door knobs, fresh lighting fixtures, make minor updates to kitchen and bathrooms. Look for outdated things that can be easily replaced.
5. Stage the place. Hire a professional or do it yourself. Use minimal furniture and neutral colors. Organize and de-clutter closets and cabinets. Rent a storage space for what you remove.
When you’re ready to take advantage of the opportunities in this year’s housing market, please contact us for help with the financing. We’re also happy to answer questions about refinancing your current home or funding home improvements. Just call or email us any time…. Have a great day!